Sunday 7 October 2012

Summer In A Glass

I know I only just talked about how its Autumn, and how I love all things autumnal, but, that having been said, who doesn't love summer too?

I usually get my fill of smoothies during the warm summer months, but since our summer months weren't exactly warm this year, I kinda skipped the smoothie thing. And now I miss it.

Berries are everywhere right now. Either because they're in season, or just coming to the end. Strawberries ended a while ago, but they're still around. So, last week, I bulk bought whatever I could find. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries. Washed them all and divided them into some freezable containers, added some kiwi and banana and chucked them in the freezer. The plan was, individual smoothie portions. And it worked!



I took a tub out today, let it defrost for a half hour or so, then plonked it into a blender with some orange juice and a couple scoops of frozen yogurt. Hit the whizz button and let it do its magic.

And a glass of pink summery goodness was born!




One Serving of Summer Smoothie

How to:

(A big handful each of the berries.)
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Red Grapes
  • 1 kiwi
  • half a banana
  • half cup of orange juice (fresh or carton, either works)
  • 1 scoop plain frozen yogurt
Put all ingredients into a blender, mix on high for 2-3 minutes.  The frozen yogurt makes it cold, but if you want a really cold smoothie, do like I did and freeze the fruit first.

Options:   Most fruit will blend, and most will freeze. So the great thing with this is you can make it how you like. Don't like blueberries? Keep them out. Prefer white grapes to red? Swap them around. It's all about trial and error and tasting.
If you have a bit of a sweet tooth, try drizzling a spoon of honey into the mix when it's being whizzed. Though depending on the fruit, it may be sweet enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment